History of Ceylon Tea - Forum
May 26, 2018, 05:15:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Wily Scot and the Talaivar.  (Read 2564 times)
Ian Gardner
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2009, 07:41:57 AM »

At the Radella Club bar one day Jimmy Stewart told me this story in his inimitable way:
His talaivar had advised him that the workers were dissatisfied with the free tea supplied to them; they demanded B O P. Jimmy Stewart had a bright idea and told the talaivar to report to the factory the next day. When the talaivar arrived at the factory the next day he was ushered in to the factory office where stood the Dorai in front of teas prepared for tea tasting. He was then told by the Dorai to taste the samples and select the one he wanted the workers to have. This he did, and picked the one his palette was used to . . . . . which was the "dust", their standard issue.
Report to moderator   Logged

Whatever is happening outside keep laughing on the inside!
fazli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:31:31 AM »

Ian, Do you remember what year this was? How old was Jimmy then, approximately? I am reseraching the STEWART (STEUART) family. Thanks
Fazli - fazlis@gmail.com

fazli
Ian Gardner
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:05:20 AM »

Fazli, at a rough guess he would have been about 60 years of age in 1963. If, however, his Company had the compulsory retiring age of 55 years as the CTP had he would have had to have been younger. In the early 1950s his son, Mike, would have been about 25 years old, but to what extent this helps pinpoint his father's age beats me!
Ian.

Whatever is happening outside keep laughing on the inside!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: