History of Ceylon Tea - Forum
May 25, 2018, 08:26:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cuthbert George Wilder Clogstoun posted by Roy Clogstoun  (Read 3073 times)
admin
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2008, 06:32:08 PM »

FROM THE OLD FORUM

RE: Planters Register Roy Clogstoun 25/04/06 12:57
(roy.clogstoun@dcita.gov.au)

Do you have any record of a Cuthbert George Wilder Clogstoun as a planter. I understand that he came to Ceylon (presumably from Madras, where his father was a soldier) in the late 1870 to be a planter. He married a Ceylonese women called Carolyn Pereira and thay had a son and a daughter. The son, William Clogstoun, was born in Gampola in November 1880. I understand William Clogstoun was born on an estate. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Report to moderator   Logged
David Colin-Thomé (Editor)
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 03:44:07 PM »

Msg received from Roy Clogstoun as an addendum to his earlier posting:

Since then I have discovered that my great grandfather Cuthbert George Wilder Clogstoun first planted coffee at Castlemilk Estate in Gampola and then at Blackwater Estate in Nawalapitiya. Is there anyone who has any information on these estates.

"You might think I say a lot about the scenery, but if you saw it, you will not think I say too much" - pioneering tea planter James Taylor describes Ceylon in a letter to his parents in Scotland
Ian Gardner
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 05:49:15 AM »

Dear Roy,
I have just had advice from the editor of The History of Ceylon Tea about your enquiry re-posted, it would seem, from 2006.
Clogstoun is an unusual name and because of that I can say that I am pretty sure I have not encountered it in my travels through the annals of this history. There is an outside chance that he may have been mentioned in one or more of the old photographs which date back in the HOCT albums to the 1840s if my memory serves me correctly. There are not many with captions but who knows? . . . .. you may strike it lucky.
We now have to rely on old fellows like myself who started planting c.1950. Compare that with 1870!!
All the best,
Ian.

Whatever is happening outside keep laughing on the inside!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: