History of Ceylon Tea - Forum
November 13, 2018, 08:13:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Kellys of Killarney  (Read 5261 times)
Jean

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »

Loved Reading Moira Colin-Thome’s article on the Kelly’s of Killarney … my mum and auntie both visited that magical place and they never forgot its beauty nor their wonderful host, Douglas Kelly.  Dean was never far away and they remembered being picked up at the Bogawantalava railway station by Dean and driven to the house.  The rolling mists, the deer, the garden, the house, the lifestyle – it was a little piece of heaven on earth and my mum always loved talking about their holiday at Killarney
Report to moderator   Logged
Ganesh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 07:07:58 PM »

I lived in the Killarney bungalow in the late 60s. It certainly was a charming place. Built of wattle and daub, and rather poorly lit, the hallway lined with stuffed Devil birds, the bungalow was supposed to be haunted by the ghost of Kelly. The forest lined driveway added to the mysterious atmosphere at night. My visitors did not like to stay too late. Mrs Dorothy Gordon of Lynford (down the road) did visit a couple of times as she had not been to the killarney bungalow in twenty five years having fallen out with Douglas Kelly. The ghost never showed up   and the birds never came to life, they must have been scared of me.
Kelly was Ceylon Lawn Tennis champion in 1906 and married Tom Farr's daughter. Farr planted North Cove (Bogo) and built Farr Inn at Horton Plains.
mdkelly1950@yahoo.com

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:57:48 AM »

For all those interested My name is Michael Douglas Beeston Kelly, son of Wilfred Henry Douglas Kelly, Grandson of Douglas Kelly - Tea Planter, Killarney, Ceylon.  I am writing a book about the history of the Kelly Family.  My Great Uncle was Thomas Farr - "World's End" I have his drawings, pen & ink, his water colors and photos. and Fanny Farr's watercolors of Ceylonese plants. Documentation of the Kelly Family in Ceylon form the 1890's. I would love to find more material for my book and communicate with people who may have that .  Pen and Ink drawings of North Cove, Horton Plains, Elephant Hunt, Colombo, Tennis, Elk Hunt, Photos of the Family, Motor Car, Rickshaw, horses etc.
Ian Gardner
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:25:04 AM »

Michael, you certainly have some rich data to record. I wish you every success in collecting and collating a rich document.
Ian.

Whatever is happening outside keep laughing on the inside!
Shiyam Mohamed (Sameen)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »

I left planting after almost 8 years for pastures new in 1999. . I’m Shiyam Mohamed Sameen and I’m currently living in London, England with my family.The time I spend in the plantations are the best memories and I cherish every bit of it. I would like to make contact with the ex and current planters across the globe. Please feel to contact me.

I came across this postings quite by accident and I was thrilled to share some of my memories from the time at this wonderful place. After completing my time as a “Creeper” I was posted to Theresia Estate on my first appointment. Killarney was part of the division of Theresia which I was give to manage. I still remember the Superintendent who drove me in his jeep from the main office to my division to show me the bungalow, which I will be living. I saw this beautiful bungalow amidst the thick forest appear and it was simply amazing. I was waiting for the jeep to stop and expected to be shown the bungalow. But the jeep carried on down the hill and stopped at a much small cottage like structure. It was such a disappointment after seeing the magnificent Killarney big bungalow. The year was  1992 which was the year all the state plantations were privatised and I have been told the company has plans to make it as a holiday bungalow for directors.  Once this plan was shelved in few months I was asked to move into the Killarney bungalow which I did not hesitate.

The place has been neglected as it has not been lived in for quite along time. It took me over a years to get the lawn re-planted and get the surrounding cleaned up. I discovered this new route to the entry into the front porch of the bungalow via the forest. There was so much more work required to get the place up to the former glory, however it was an eternal struggle to get any funds particularly from the new owners.

When I was living there the stuffed birds and horns and photographs of Kelly  was still there. The old office room still had old the old books and records running back to early days.

I did not experience of any ghost in the bungalow, the only thing I was worried about was that there was this massive tree very close the bungalow which was tied with a thick metal cable to the rock close by. My bed was in its path if it is to ever came down, and would have taken the whole bungalow with it.

I was intrigued about this place and always wanted to know the history of this place. I left Killarney and moved to the adjoining Kirkowald Estate in 1995.

Michael, I wish you all the very best in your project and there is no doubt that it will be an excellent read.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: