History of Ceylon Tea - Forum
May 25, 2018, 08:28:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Queenswood Estate and Jack Saffery  (Read 3192 times)
Serena McLaren (Saffry)

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2008, 09:52:41 AM »

I have come across your website and am very interested in the photographs of the Queenswood Estate.  The photos are amazing.

Jack Edgar Saffery and I stem from the same family. He was born on the 26th Sept 1898 in Camberwell Surrey England.  I know that he married Molly Austin Gault and had 3 children, Robert, Ruby and Honour.  His parents were Arthur Hall Saffery and Edith Wilkinson. I think he was the youngest of 6 and that his mother died in at the same time as he was born.  Arthur then went on to marry again and have another 3 children.

I think that Jack first went to Ceylon on the 12 Jan 1920 and that he married in Ceylon but I am unsure when.  His son Robert Edgar Saffery married Lorna Waldine Sansoni in Ceylon on the 1st Sept 1956. I have not yet discovered if they had any children.

I have lots more information which I can give you on the family if you are interested.  I am interested if you have any information on them from the Ceylon point of view.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes and many thanks

Serena McLaren (Saffery)
Report to moderator   Logged
David Colin-Thomé (Editor)
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »

Hi Serena,

Lovely to hear from you particularly on this subject. I have just checked with a friend who is a Sansoni and he told me that Robert and Waldine had a daughter, Evelyn who lives in England.

Yes, I would be most grateful for any other information that you can give me on the family (and any photos too!). I'm sure Joan Cross, who we are indebted to for the trouble she took to send me the photos from Perth, will be interested to see someone comment on the images and some of the people featured in it.

Thanks again,
David

"You might think I say a lot about the scenery, but if you saw it, you will not think I say too much" - pioneering tea planter James Taylor describes Ceylon in a letter to his parents in Scotland
Serena McLaren (Saffry)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:07:54 AM »

Hello David

Thank you for your prompt response.  Alas I have no photos on any of them which is why it was so exciting to see the one's from Joan. 

I have few details really.  I do think that both Robert and Lorna both died in England  in Lancashire, however, I do not know where Jack or Molly Austin Gault died.  I assume Molly was born in Ceylon but am not sure.

I hope that the forum can shine some light.

Many thanks and if I do get any photos then of course I will let you know.

Best wishes

Serena
Joan Cross

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 01:01:19 PM »

To Serena and David,

It's very exciting to see that there is the interest in the estate photos and the Saffery family. I have some other photos that I believe are of the Saffery children but don't know for sure - maybe you can identify them Serena. I'm happy to send them to you. I also have more information on the Saffery line which I am happy to send you, but it may take me a little while to gather it together. I will do it as soon as I can.

Thank you for your generosity and interest. Your site is invaluable.

Warm Regards, Joan Cross
Bryan Wickremeratne

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 11:22:51 PM »

Dear Serena,

Some information regarding Robert(Bobby) and Waldine Saffery.  They had two sons, Robert and Jim, who both live in the U.K.  Waldine was married earlier to Bertram LaBrooy and they had two daughters, Evelyn and Aileen.  Waldine and Bobby are both no longer with us. 

We were childhood friends of the Sansoni's and Hepponstall's and this information I received from Burtram Hepponstall who is Waldine's nephew.  I trust this fills in a blank concerning a realtive of yours.

Best wishes,

Bryan Wickremeratne. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: