History of Ceylon Tea - Forum
August 17, 2018, 09:13:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cricket posted by Ian Gardner  (Read 1950 times)
admin
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2008, 06:14:10 PM »

FROM THE OLD FORUM

It was probably in the early sixties that Malcolm Wright, then manager of Shell in Nuwara Eliya, and Ralston Tissera, then Superintendent of Somerset, put their great minds together and, no doubt with the aid of Bacchus, invented a game of cricket with a twist.

The rules, as far as I can recall, were:-
When a boundary (4) was scored, the bowler stood the batter a drink.
When a boundary (6) was scored, the bowler stood the batter two drinks.

When a batter was:
bowled, the batter stood the bowler a drink.
stumped, the batter stood the bowler and the wicket-keeper a drink.
caught, the batter stood the catcher and the bowler a drink.
out l.b.w., the batter stood the bowler a drink.
run out, the batter stood the responsible fielders, or the wicket-keeper drinks.

And similarly in the case of other events.
All drinks were to be drunk on the spot, without delay, before play resumed.

When a drink/s were called for the barman arrived with the chit book and the chit was duly written and signed. He then ran off to pour the drink/s

On the appointed day the participants arrived at the Radella Club and, there being too few men to form two teams, some of the ladies were co-opted. As it turned out, they performed as well as the men. Needless to say, the two captains were Tissera and Wright.

Not long after the game started it was unanimously agreed that the signing of chits and the arrival of the drinks on to the field was taking too long so the bar was brought to the field. Soon after that it was decided that the signing of chits was too time consuming and that all drinks should go on one account to be shared by all participants.

Furthermore, early on in the piece, the Umpires [I recall Gamini Tennekoon being one] realised that they had somehow been left out of the rules of this new game. They were naturally distressed and duly protested, and it was unanimously decided that where an umpire was involved in a decision whereby a wicket fell the umpire would also get a drink from the batter. However, as there were not many such decisions, as the day was sunny and as the players were getting tipsy far more quickly than these officials thought fair they, these officials, decided to remedy matters by frequently making decisions based on their desire for libation and not rules of cricket!

The match commenced at about 10 a.m. and lurched along hilariously until about 3.30 p.m. when it was decided to call it quits but only the game and we adjourned to the bar where we discovered that, despite the large number of drinks consumed in five and a half hours, mostly from unlawful claims on the bar, the cost to each player was only Rs.13.00!

As far as I am aware that this was the only match of its kind, before or after.

Below I will start a list of participants et al as I recall. Anyone wishing to remove from or add to this please advise the Editor:
Umpire 1. Gamini Tennekoon.
Umpire 2.

Players:
Malcolm Wright, Ralston Tissera, Ian Gunewardene, John and Wendy Partridge, Mike and Dawn Waring,

Onlookers:

Barman:
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: