History of Ceylon Tea - Forum
May 25, 2018, 08:19:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Samaraweera  (Read 2578 times)
bcooke

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:32:48 PM »

Huh Am researching family history and know from family here in UK that the Samaraweera family were land owners/tea plantation owner circa pre 1900.

Believe the family came from Kandy.

The name I have is 'Ted Samaraweera who was mayor of Colombo pre 1946 and also believe he was a surgeon at the Colombo hospital. Also related, a Cecil Soysa was the Minister for Transport in the 1930's

I know they will be related to Mangala Samaraweera ex Foreign Minister who I believe is now in the opposition party.

Would be pleased to receive any help about the Samaraweera history, it would be much appreciated.

Regards
Report to moderator   Logged
Ian Gardner
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:15:55 AM »

Have you had a look in the Ferguson's Directories here? They only go up to 1930 or so for the time being but that should give you some information.
Ian.

Whatever is happening outside keep laughing on the inside!
dilipdesilva

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 03:33:04 AM »

I believe I can help you in this regard.My wife's grand father was TED Samaraweera,William Theadore born on 27th auq 1884.The family originally from Weligama went on to own estates in Gampola and lived in kandy Sirimedura  Walauwa Peradeniya.Teds wife May was the daughter of Dr.Woutersz an ambidextrous surgeon . Ted was olso in charge of the Gampola Urban Council  and in His latter years was Secretary to Cecil de Soysa's father The Late Sir Wilfred  De Soysa who was a Minster. Ted had two sons  Lakskman and satheyendra who are bothe deseased, the other isuues from that union were 5 girls Mita ,Lorna,Sirina, nailini, and Irangani,all deceased save and except for the latter. Ted and the family have no connection with Mangala Samaraweera.as the family were decendents of Mudliyar Samaraweera ofWeligama, and have connetions withh The former Miniter of Transport Major Montigue Jayawickrema.I shall be pleased   if you cantact me on dilipdesilva@g mail.com should you need furtherv details of the family.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: